Skip to main content

Seeing Pink : Feelings/Fears Finding out + Being an advocate for yourself


November 14, 2019
18 weeks  pregnant…12 weeks  + 2 days longer than my first pregnancy.
14 weeks + 2 days  since seeing those two pink lines for the second time in my life, for the first time without fertility intervention.

And the first time I’ve been able to sit down and try to gather and write out thoughts and try to wrap my head around all the work the Lord has done (and continues to do) in my heart during this pregnancy.

While these words will be raw and confusing and hard and joyful, I want to have them to look back on as a tangible reminder of this season and of the Father’s pursuit of my heart. I also want to share them because while no two stories are the same, I know there may be someone with whom this will resonate, and prayerfully encourage!

Part 1: Feelings/Fears Finding out + Being an advocate for yourself

It was the first full cycle post endometriosis and a d&c (to check uterus for infection) when we found out we were pregnant. And we were excited! The doctor had prescribed letrozole to start when we were ready, and while I did get the prescription filled, we decided to hold off on taking it. (also, while packing our closet a month earlier, I kept out a shirt in faith that I would be needing it-another short story I’ll type up later!) The morning was crazy…I went to Target with two fussy toddlers to get a pregnancy test, was frantic when I didn’t have my wedding or engagement ring on at the store, thinking I had lost it and it was no where to be found. Thankfully, when we pulled back up at home, there it was on the doormat! I took the test, immediately saw two pink lines and let the shaking and the tears come. While I was excited, I was also a nervous wreck, and the cycle of endless questions and doubts flooded my mind…

Two of these biggest being: Will I carry this baby to term or will it end the same as the previous pregnancy? What comments will people say about me finally being pregnant post adoption (because how dare they take away from my sons)?

I was on the phone all morning trying to get the doctor to have me come in for a blood test to check and follow hcg and progesterone. It was a battle because I only first talked to office staff or nurses who didn’t know us or our story. Long story short here, the doctor had them call me later that night to change my first ultrasound from 8 weeks to 5.5 weeks, as well as confirm a blood draw order for both hcg and progesterone. I started progesterone the next day. 
I am so grateful to have found an amazing doctor and to have advocated for myself and this baby.

So while initial fears were related to loss, the Holy Spirit was already working overtime on my heart to remind me to trust and embrace the joy and each moment of carrying this baby. You’ll see as I share the story that It just took me much later to finally lean into that.

What grabbed my heart the most was 
the thought of pregnancy post adoption,
 and the flood of comments from those that would say things like “I knew you’d finally have your own” or “It always happens that after someone adopts, they get pregnant with their own”. It is for this reason I struggled the most to have complete joy early in this pregnancy. Instead, everything within me was scared the words of others would take away from my boys, that while not realizing it, they were saying that this child born to me biologically was somehow more mine that my sons through adoption. It is those lies that I always want to protect my sons against…and 
I continually pray they know their identity as my first and second born sons, as a loved child of God! 

There was so much guilt surrounding feeling all but joy in the beginning. 

It’s a struggle I still can’t find all the words to portray and I’m not sure you could even put a finger to understanding unless you’ve walked it out. But, thankful for the faith and encouragement from friends that allowed me to share the raw part of these fears and questions, that allowed me space to be honest while speaking gospel truth into my heart. A fellow adoptive mama who had a similar story (two sons through wombs of another, and a daughter from her womb) shared these words that encouraged my heart: 
“Know Jesus will use those emotions (Regarding all the feelings around pregnancy post adoption) to love and guide your boys as baby arrives.” 

Another sweet friend also reminded me that it’s ok to feel protective of my boys and it’s also ok to have joy about this pregnancy because that is a way God grows families. The Father is a giver of good gifts. 
His gifts don’t depend on my works but His grace, and there’s no guilt in the good gifts He gives.

I also realize this isn’t the story of everyone post an endo surgery, and for that there’s another set of words about crediting a doctor or thinking there’s an easy fix…I pray not only in our story, but in those that are still walking through His answer of “not yet” or “no” that you see God is still good and that He alone gets the glory-not just for giving good gifts, but that HE gives us Himself! 
It is THIS that he was working in my heart long before those pink lines appeared.

The next day would bring with it more fear, and seeing God teach me more than ever before…that I would lean into others as they raised a Hallelujah when I felt like I couldn’t raise it for myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answered Prayer

The news we have been waiting for... We are MATCHED!!! This last week has been a beautiful whirlwind as we received news on Monday that an expectant mom, "K", that we had presented to wanted to talk with Brett and I on the phone to "confirm" us as the family chosen to parent her sweet baby. The Lord continues to be in every detail and we are so overwhelmed by His grace and faithfulness! We received an email that they were looking for a couple to match with this mom back in March. We were presenting to another expectant mom at the time so were unable to have our profile shown to her then. We did not match with the mom we presented to at that time and received two no's before our consultant sent an email saying that K had not matched with anyone yet, and they were reaching back out to see if any other families were interested. We of course said YES, and all I could think about was that she didn't match in March because that was our baby...I also said

"Their Hearts are Steadfast, Trusting in the Lord"

A verse I had no idea would grow to mean so much to me! I wrote this post over a week ago now, just late posting! July 21, 2015 One month-It has been exactly one month since I've seen and talked to my Granny.  I have thought about what I have wanted to write in this post a million times, and a million times more have wanted to sit down and write it, but never could bring myself to do so. Well, I got my hair cut yesterday and all I could hear is my Granny saying, "Your Papa would be maaadd at you" and "Nooo you didn't cut it off". And again this morning, as I made my coffee, I am laughing at the last time I fixed coffee for my Granny. It was the week of June 15th and I was staying with her. I made coffee for myself and convinced her to try it.  It was way  too strong (Thank you Keurig for taking away my ability to make coffee in a regular pot). Granny responded with "oooo that's bitter" but then came the "it'll be alright...just a

We are Adopting!!

It's been a while since I have written a post, and I couldn't be more excited and thankful that this is my first post back. WE are ADOPTING! I won't post the story here, and will let you read what I wrote on our fundraising website. I wanted to just give an update on what we've done so far in the adoption process, what are our next steps, and how you can help! What have we done so far: We are working with Christian Adoption Consultants for our adoption and couldn't be more blessed to be working with our consultant, Leah! She has been awesome! I was blessed to be able to meet her, and her precious daughter Haven when I was in Jacksonville, Florida visiting with some sweet college friends. We used Nathanson Adoptions for our Home Study, and again, the Lord answered our prayers in matching us with an incredible social worker, Liz. The homestudy included in depth interviews with Brett and me about our past as a couple, our marriage, and our plans for the fu